• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Basic military tactics for the Bronze age.

DeletedUser

Guide updates paused untill the Combat system gets an update!

I will continue to update this guide as I pass through the game.
To get started this guide will only address 2 units I have used at this moment in time.

Now I am talking about Spearfighters and Slingers, both of these units can do lots of damage if they are used correctly,
The basic rule or strategy is to always defend, do not rush your units halfway across the map because then the enemy can attack them in one turn and cause damage to you which is not a very good start!
(Although it depends on the situation, if you're 8 vs 2 obviously you can attack to end the battle quicker.)

You have to protect your slingers with a wall off Spearfighters (Later on you do the same with Warriors), I find this way to work the best for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpkugLCr3UM

ALWAYS!! use the map to your advantage, Spearfighters gain a defensive bonus while standing on a brush or tree tile:

KI0aN.png

Now picking units depends totaly on the situation. here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZr4W9ZVJpI

As shown in the video I decided to use:

- 5 Warriors
- 2 Spearfighters
- 1 Slinger

Against

- 4 Soldiers
- 3 Ballistas

Now my logic behind all of this is:
I decided to go for 5 warriors cause they have a +2 attack bonus against light infantry, also because they have a huge defence too.
Which is good against ballistas in my opinion. The Spearfighters yet again form a shield to defend my slingers.
I went for only one Slinger this time and I was at least able to do some ranged damage, that most of the time is a good thing and beneficial in a battle.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

would you like me to pm you a nicer looking english version so its more readable :)?

DeletedUser735

It is just fine i can make out wat he want to say . But a little tricky things which i can't understand i will try to rebuild it in good English form wat you say may i do it?? *It is Reserved place now*

DeletedUser

If u would like to do that Hefty or Raha that would be awsome!

DeletedUser735

I only i found a silly mistake and rest you could understand needs that you know short forms of english. The mistake was in this line only :- u have to protect ur slingers whit wall off spearfighters (later on u do the same whit Warriors), i find these ways to work the best for me: .
Just change whit to with :D & off with of , as off means battery down :p. And no other grammar problem !!

DeletedUser

Guide is re-writen thanks to hefty & raha + added a picture, Tommorow il add some unit values on wich unit types are usefull atm and wich are not.

DeletedUser735

Hey bro if you need more clear shots of game just PM me that wat you want i will get a clear shot for you :p

DeletedUser

Yoda I believe the first mistake was that you moved your troops first into the attackable area of the horse, you should of held back one more round as that would of given you one more round of attack before the foot troops engaged. Also you have no balista for long rage first kill .. The example you showed although effective still cost you troops and troops healing time.

You just have to remember at the stage you are at you have more troops than the opposing force do so staying out of range gives you even more damage rounds with Bow and the outcome is inevitable.

DeletedUser

Yoda I believe the first mistake was that you moved your troops first into the attackable area of the horse, you should of held back one more round as that would of given you one more round of attack before the foot troops engaged. Also you have no balista for long rage first kill .. The example you showed although effective still cost you troops and troops healing time.

You just have to remember at the stage you are at you have more troops than the opposing force do so staying out of range gives you even more damage rounds with Bow and the outcome is inevitable.
u are 100% right on this i should have defended and let my slingers do the dmg instead of leading an attack.

DeletedUser

I stuck with slingers for a very long time as the distance attacks were a very good tactic but soon as I could I swapped to Bow and not looked back since.

One of my favourite setups was 4 balista and 4 bow, this got me a long was playing defensive,

DeletedUser

I stuck with slingers for a very long time as the distance attacks were a very good tactic but soon as I could I swapped to Bow and not looked back since.

One of my favourite setups was 4 balista and 4 bow, this got me a long was playing defensive,
thanks il keep that in mind, ive yet to use the stone trowers myself so hopefully soon i can add them to the guide.

*edit more content added to the guide.

DeletedUser735

Great I think Drew is helping you well, Keep on the good work i will follow ur guide in my new id , lets see wat happens :D

DeletedUser

I think there is absolutely NO tactics needed for the bronze age
I started like the quests want you to, so built up spears, a few slingers and warriors

But after that i saw the slingers fight.
Now im in the iron age, s fighting vs ironage-only units in the campaign and i just managed to kill a 8-unit-squad ... with guess what ? ... 8 Slingers.
Now im in the pvp-torunament rank 1 with just the campaignbattles, cause i get about 2000 honor for every battle
And i lose about 2 or 3 slingers, so after 3 hours (or 8 if during sleeping) i can attack the next part of a province and can just speed up my economy, which leads me to about 1.5x the points of the next player in my neighbourhood, while i started where he was at 20k points .... (now im at 180k, he at 120k) because he has 4 army buildings (like all teh other players around me, while i have 1, and even a bronze age one.

I think Yoda did a good job, the english wasnt actually too bad, but it makes the thread a bit not worth to read, sorry

NijA

DeletedUser

I think there is absolutely NO tactics needed for the bronze age
I started like the quests want you to, so built up spears, a few slingers and warriors

But after that i saw the slingers fight.
Now im in the iron age, s fighting vs ironage-only units in the campaign and i just managed to kill a 8-unit-squad ... with guess what ? ... 8 Slingers.
Now im in the pvp-torunament rank 1 with just the campaignbattles, cause i get about 2000 honor for every battle
And i lose about 2 or 3 slingers, so after 3 hours (or 8 if during sleeping) i can attack the next part of a province and can just speed up my economy, which leads me to about 1.5x the points of the next player in my neighbourhood, while i started where he was at 20k points .... (now im at 180k, he at 120k) because he has 4 army buildings (like all teh other players around me, while i have 1, and even a bronze age one.

I think Yoda did a good job, the english wasnt actually too bad, but it makes the thread a bit not worth to read, sorry

NijA

Jup u can pretty much win anything ATM, cause the AI is srsly not the best.
this was just a 'basic' guide for the newer players. Its long from Being optimized + done.

DeletedUser

Sure the AI is not the best ATM ^^, but i think ranged units have other advantages.
If you stay on your side, hardly ever, there is water or rock in front of you, so the enemy cant get with 8 units to you in time, which means you can just pick them out one by one
Siegeweapons are not that good at it because yes they have higher range, but they dont do any DMG to units, who are in the same age.

NijA

DeletedUser

Sure the AI is not the best ATM ^^, but i think ranged units have other advantages.
If you stay on your side, hardly ever, there is water or rock in front of you, so the enemy cant get with 8 units to you in time, which means you can just pick them out one by one
Siegeweapons are not that good at it because yes they have higher range, but they dont do any DMG to units, who are in the same age.

NijA

Totaly agree, Siegeweapons are not worth it. a team of slingers can kill almost anything.

DeletedUser

Now, when i have to fight vs 8unit-teams of iron age-units, it is getting hard, especially vs archers, because they are better than slingers and have a better range, but i lose 4 units max, so i wonder how long i can win with just slingers. I hope i can beat all the provinces with iron age units ;)
Then i can upgrade to archers^^

DeletedUser

Now, when i have to fight vs 8unit-teams of iron age-units, it is getting hard, especially vs archers, because they are better than slingers and have a better range, but i lose 4 units max, so i wonder how long i can win with just slingers. I hope i can beat all the provinces with iron age units ;)
Then i can upgrade to archers^^
Ye u can, but when u get to the early middle age units its allmost impossible to WIN any fight.
When u can train archers do it! they are bloody awsome :D