• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Forwarded Bad Time/Date format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nisse-X

Merchant
Reason
Current format is confusing and bad.
Details
Use ISO-8601 instead
Balance
Straightforward and logical
Abuse Prevention
not applicable
Summary
Current time format bad
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
Has been reported as bug over a year ago
This server ZZ1 is a international server (not a U.S one). The time format you keep is very bad and confusing for most, 12 hour AM/PM.
Not even the U.S miltary use this format.

You should use the international standard ISO-8601 (YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS).

This suggestion has been forwarded. Votes are no longer accepted.
What was the reply (if any) to the "bug" report from a year ago?
Should be the change also applied to the EN (International) server?
Would it be confusing to have different Date/Formats in the servers?

Would a change in server's Date/Time format an exception to the DNSL : " New worlds with other game conditions (double speed, no PvP, etc...) "

Last edited:

Nisse-X

Merchant
The reply from support was something like "not currently in the plans".
EN-servers, I do not know what they have there but it should not be what we currently have here. US-servers is the place for that :)
This server is international. A sane international standard should apply.
There are so many variations that currently exists from various countries, as are the origins of players here.
(The background communication amongst servers are most probably done in the epoch-format regardless of the GUI)

Last edited:
In the forums?

In game chat/messages uses 24hour clock on server time, which I would LIKE the option to change to 12 hour AND to change to my time zone. Affects nothing but how I view the timestamp. US servers are crap timestamps because they're on EST while I'm on PST, why not give the display option for the correct time zone like other websites/games do?? 100% of the time I don't know when anythings happening unless it says N minutes until/ago....

And there's no poll.

It should be a setting on both the game and forums that you can choose your time zone and have them display appropriately. The way it is set up currently is pure laziness on the part of InnoGames. Just about every other game I've played in the last 10 years has let the user select their time zone.

Thunderdome

Emperor
I used this format myself ETD (Earth Time Date) YYYY.MoMo.DD-HH:MiMi:SS on most record keeping items. However, I do like the idea of a YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM(am/pm if no 24h setting) as it is relatively straightforward and non-confusing.

While I do understand that this is an international game, the US finds it very confusing when the international folks used a date of 07-01-2021 to depict Jan 7th, 2021 while the rest of us can translate that to July 1st, 2021... and even more confusing when numbers beyond 12 are used in the first space, like 30-08-2021 (I mean, what's the 30th month?).

We could go on debating which system type is better until the cows come home for we have gotten used to such. However, I am going with Nisse's suggestion of a format that should be easily understood by everyone and support this.

Would a change in server's Date/Time format an exception to the DNSL : " New worlds with other game conditions (double speed, no PvP, etc...) "
It's a little on the grey area on this one since it doesn't affect gameplay or make a player more advantageous than another. But, I am no game developer, I would not know.

In the forums?

In game chat/messages uses 24hour clock on server time, which I would LIKE the option to change to 12 hour AND to change to my time zone. Affects nothing but how I view the timestamp. US servers are crap timestamps because they're on EST while I'm on PST, why not give the display option for the correct time zone like other websites/games do?? 100% of the time I don't know when anythings happening unless it says N minutes until/ago....

And there's no poll.
Aye. I had been in other places where it gives that option to change the time/date layout to fit a person's experience. I don't know why Inno doesn't do it here. It's not like everyone is playing in the same location.

And, yes, folks: BRING OUT THE POLL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.