• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Avatars with changing emotional reactions in messages!?

DeletedUser5882

While I was in a message conversation with a friend, he said that my avatar was changing with each new message I sent. Like first it looked happy, then angry and later sad etc. He said he had once before seen an avatar change while messaging but he had become unsure of what he had seen and later decided it was some visual misperception. But this time he had no doubt it was actually changing.

I wanted proof and he sent me the following image:

hdzshIUQQPyjqfU3VvXt_g.png

I am messaging with lots of people but he is the only one who claimed to see my avatar displaying a different mood in my each message. And he could prove it!

Has anyone else seen avatars displaying different emotions in messages?
Is it a new feature being tested? Or is it something old that I had no idea about?

DeletedUser8277

I've never noticed this myself but now I'll keep my eyes out. That would be an awesome little easter egg from the devs if so.

DeletedUser8277

It looks like I may have been victim of a practical joke :p
Possibly not, Robert liked your post. If it was a cool easter egg snuck in he would know.

I believe when people pull images from the server to look for spoilers they can tell if that image is going to or has had an animation attached to it. I don't know how to do this myself but if someone who knows how to can they should be able to tell if any animation or change is attributed to your avatar.

DeletedUser5882

Possibly not
I'll dig further for more evidence...

if any animation or change is attributed to your avatar
That's what confuses me. If that were true, shouldn't everyone receiving a message from me see the animation?
I can understand a feature being limited to few or even one single avatar. But how can the visibility of that feature be limited to one recipient only?
But as I said I will dig further and sort this out :cool:

DeletedUser8461

Possibly not, Robert liked your post. If it was a cool easter egg snuck in he would know.

I believe when people pull images from the server to look for spoilers they can tell if that image is going to or has had an animation attached to it. I don't know how to do this myself but if someone who knows how to can they should be able to tell if any animation or change is attributed to your avatar.
I liked the post because I thought it was hilarious. :D

I'm not aware of any features that would change your avatar in that way, nor do I think that anyone has been making changes to older avatar images recently. But maybe that avatar is haunted! :eek:

Cardena

Squire
I would not like an avatar that changes its emotion. That would be weird, because that could be contradictory to the essence of the PN. So I am happy, that this was only a joke.

DeletedUser5882

This case is reopened!

Because this time it happened to me, just few minutes ago and I have evidence!

I have no idea what is going on... or who does this.. whether inside FoE or some jokester who manages to hack into the system but it is REAL!

The first thing I noticed before paying attention to any of the portraits was that there was a change in the graphics. Sudden drop in the quality!
My portrait looked different on each tab; hood, guild and friend tabs.
My portrait looked different in the message as well
Only after sending a message saw I that it started to change.

Another interesting fact is that, this happened only with my portrait just like my friend had claimed!
He said his did not change at all and it was only mine that changed with every new message.
Same here. Only the portrait I use is changing.

EDIT: Another interesting coincidence is that when my friend said this happened, OF6 was about be released. I remember that because I had another post same day asking if the expansion that suddenly appeared was a bug or something else. Today another era is expected to be released and my initial thoughts about the drop in graphics quality was that there were changes being made and that it was the result of those changes. Now I am not so sure about that!

We did several tests with my guildmate.

Then he wondered if his also changed because we couldn't notice anything because of that massive beard and hat on his portrait :p
He changed the profile picture and I recorded the third video then. But the only changing one was still mine.

Here are all the evidence so far. This should be investigated by the FoE management asap if they themselves are not playing this prank!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9022

That is not a prank, the reason for this is your low resolution. The portraits in FoE have a resolution of 90x90 pixels. The images you provided in your first post have a width of 62 pixels, so roughly every third row and every third column is missing.

What happens, if we take the 90x90 image and remove every third row and every third column? Well, we have nine possibilities: we can remove rows 0, 3, 6... or rows 1, 4, 7... or rows 2, 5, 8..., as well as columns 0, 3, 6... or columns 1, 4, 7... or columns 2, 5, 8.... This leads to the following nine resulting images:

all.jpg

And as you can see, the bottom row seems much happier than the other ones.

Mystery solved :)

DeletedUser5882

This was a fun ride :p

@Alduno yes, you are right and after checking lots of things yesterday I figured out exactly why and how it happens.

No one is doing a practical joke or anything. It is a "prank" played by the resolution itself.

I normally keep my browser on size 100%. Yesterday I later noticed it had gone up to 110%! Probably by accident because I use alt key a lot and most likely scrolled a little up while holding alt key.

As far as I remember, the browser size should not affect the graphic size in the game but it does. Maybe I remember wrong or maybe there has been changes in how the browser size affects the flash based game.

However, when I adjusted the browser size back to 100%, the "illusion" of my avatar's changing facial mimics stopped! I did a forth and back check playing with the browser size, and yes it was the changing resolution upon increasing or decreasing of the browser size in certain rates that caused this illusion. Why it only appeared on the avatar I used was probably because of its head position and other fine details in the graphics.

I suggest you all do a test with the avatar I use and also some others with browser sizes on 90%, 110% zoom and also other sizes. On my PC 110% zoom was the one that made that dramatical change in how my avatar looks.

It really a shocked me to see my avatar doing weird mimics all of a sudden just like that friend of mine had claimed few months ago! I know I should have waited and done all the possible check ups and tests before posting but I think I was too surprised and shocked upon seeing it actually was happening that I had a slight "logic" interruption :rolleyes: But I did my proper observations and tests shortly after and I now can finalize this mystery with 100% certainty :cool:

Yes it happens, it is true!
And yes, it has a logical explanation.

DeletedUser8277

That is not a prank, the reason for this is your low resolution. The portraits in FoE have a resolution of 90x90 pixels. The images you provided in your first post have a width of 62 pixels, so roughly every third row and every third column is missing.
Bravo, that was not only great reasoning but also a fantastic explanation on your part.

No one is doing a practical joke or anything. It is a "prank" played by the resolution itself.
I hope you weren't too harsh on the friend everyone said was pranking you =)
I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad, I too never would have thought of that but obviously Alduno is right on the money. It was an interesting mystery none the less and even more interesting reading the 'Aha' explanation to the riddle.

DeletedUser5882

I hope you weren't too harsh on the friend everyone said was pranking you =)
No I didn't even mention that I was sure he was pranking me. Just thought I should let him enjoy the moment :p. But what I couldn't figure out was how he had done it because I had witnessed on several occasions that he did not know simplest things like even taking a screenshot let alone sharing it! It was me who showed him how to do those.. I'm actually happy this 'incident' happened to me because this one was way easier to figure out :D

Even if I got a little excited for a moment, I was relieved to say that 'Aha'..
This must be how people end up in scientology I thought. Just leave logic aside for a moment and let your imagination guide you :p

Emberguard

Emperor
I wouldn't mind having the avatars expression matching the cities happiness situation
Angry: angry face
Happy: neutral expression
Enthusiastic: Happy face :D

Of course that'd be so much work for it to be included in every avatar so far, so if it were a thing it'd likely be an event exclusive