• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Archaeology Event - Balancing Changes

• Thread starter Retired Community Manager
  • Start date

DeletedUser6908

Will have to see how it goes on Live. I'm at level 9 so finishing the questline will get me the last upgrade. Not sure how many idols I got before the change so don't know how much of a head start I got.

It seems clear that if you want a fully upgraded Fair you go for idols and don't worry about the vases. That's what I did until today when I went for a Carousel since I already had level 10 assured.

Thunderdome

Emperor
Is it my imagination, or are there now so many brick walls that the shovel has become virtually redundant.
Spent over 2k diamonds and on level 8 fair, plus 1 for quests and not much chance of getting the last one from the scrolls.
in this format i wont bother doing it on live. :(
I thought I was the only one that had saw it, CJS. I've gotten into some areas where there are more brick walls than sand (maybe it just figured out that I had been surgically hitting spots to move forward so I can see if I can dig from the other side more effectively).

Due to limited availability and no app test for the event, I am sitting at a level 5 WF (base building + 4 upgrades thus far) in inventory.

DeletedUser10038

I am fairly new to beta, joined just before the spring event. (And easily got the top level pagoda, and then some.)

So far I've spent 700 diamonds on scrolls. I really hope I will not have to spend diamonds to get a level 10 when the event launches.
I think I'll get enough to get a level 10 here in beta, but I'm only reaching 20 idols after using one and a half of the 330 scroll set.
I am aiming only for idols and nothing else.
I think the first tier of scroll purchase for diamonds should at least pay out 100 scrolls. 200 diamonds for 40 scrolls? 700 diamonds won't even give you enough to buy the 180 scroll package.
And there are entirely more bricks after the reset. There are more brushes too, so that's one positive.

All in all, I really like this event. I just wish it was more affordable.

Thunderbummy

Marquis
Whilst it is great to have a new kind of event, the balance still seems wrong. Do we all have different mine configurations? I rather think that we must because there is no way that I will get to level 10 without spending nearly 2K diamonds. I have only targeted the idols, make sure that all sand tile are lit up and still only seem to get 14/15 idols per 330 scroll pack. Since apparently some guys will make level 10 without spending diamonds there is either a huge luck element with the number of idols available or the "lit" tiles do not always reveal a prize.

DeletedUser9042

Please leave any feedback on the event balancing changes in this thread.
The details of the changes can be found here.

I have run through all my scrolls and have spent about 400 diamonds on scrolls and very rarely get the special. I wanted the carousel, no luck. The progress of getting the idols seems fine. I'm at level 7 with a few days left to go and one more guaranteed through completing the event. Not sure I'll get to level 10.
Its a fun event, I'm enjoying it except that I run out of scrolls too quickly and seem to have very low chance of getting the special. also if I uncover every urn I don't have enough paintbrushes/shovels etc. to find more golden idols, so I need to skip some to keep progressing in the hunt for the golden idols.

DeletedUser10013

Is it my imagination, or are there now so many brick walls that the shovel has become virtually redundant.
Spent over 2k diamonds and on level 8 fair, plus 1 for quests and not much chance of getting the last one from the scrolls.
in this format i wont bother doing it on live. :(

Yep same here. Spent 4k diamonds to buy the 330 pack(s)
The same result - will finish with only level 9. I have 8 upgrades, and the one base= Lev 9

This includes getting 1 upgrade at the end.

On the playing field is 12 of 20 for the wishing well shrink kit.
The next 20 idols you receive another base. This should not be in the reward rotation, have it as an optional buy with diamonds if you think you would ever get enough idols to build a 2nd one. LOL!

After that is another 20 to receive another upgrade.

So in a couple of days, I need to find 48 idols, and I'm at 320 scrolls, waiting another 24 hours for a few more scrolls, to buy my last 330 tool pack only to be disappointed that my last 330 pack came up short, and the only way to finish is to keep buying diamonds to get to 48 stupid Idols. I also will not be playing this in my other live city :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Amdira

Baronet
I'm at lvl 7 now and need another 32 idols to get the next upgrade (next price are the 50 FPs). With the final upgrade the best level to achieve will be 9, if possible at all. It's really boring and frustrating to wait days to be able buying tools. I really enjoyed the event in the beginning and still enjoy digging, but it seems there has to be some more balancing, even if you are going straigt for idols. I'm pretty happy with the level 8 or 9 building here on beta, but not for live servers. As I said before - the extra upgrade-kit you could achieve through liga in the events before are now missing - thus it might be an option to give 2 instead of 1 upgrade-kits for the last quest - or just deleting one of the in-between-grand prices. A light balancing of reducing the necessary idols for kits from 20 to 17 or 15 would make sense.

Last edited:

DeletedUser9251

While it might be my use of the tools and my strategy, I believe I will end up coming up 1 upgrade short to max out my Worlds fair, sitting at level 7 currently with 28 idols remaining to get the last upgrade in the questline and the two upgrade grand prizes sitting right in front of me. I've spent 700 diamonds for scrolls and still have doubts that I will be able to find enough idols to get that final upgrade grand prize. (I will still get 1 more questline upgrade and 1 grand prize upgrade)

Update: My Worlds Fair is now at level 8, and I am 16 idols short of getting the final upgrade I will need to max it out (the final upgrade in the questline will get me to level 9). I will get another 210 scrolls by the end of the event, which will not be enough to purchase the large tool kit necessary to find 16 idols. I have spent 1,400 diamonds now in total on this event, and am disappointed that I will not be able to max my building.

Besides that, I did find this event to be refreshingly different from previous events and enjoyed it immensely despite the inability to max to event building. I am hopeful that inno will correct for this before live so that people who complete the questline in good faith can achieve at least one maxed event building without having to spend diamonds, and offer what they did during the Football event for the Colossus upgrades. I think it's quite clear that the event was much enjoyed, but a glaring balancing problem that makes it far too difficult to max the event building has been uncovered in beta testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same result - will finish with only level 9. I have 8 upgrades, and the one base= Lev 9

This includes getting 1 upgrade at the end.

On the playing field is 12 of 20 for the wishing well shrink kit.
The next 20 idols you receive another base. This should not be in the reward rotation, have it as an optional buy with diamonds if you think you would ever get enough idols to build a 2nd one. LOL!

hmm .. confused: I'm at the same grandprize state (somewhere near the end of the shrinking kit, next would be another base) and have 8 upgrades in inventory, will get one more at the end - so certainly will have the fair complete at level 10.

Did they change the order/frequency of upgrades as grandprizes?

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
hmm .. confused: I'm at the same grandprize state (somewhere near the end of the shrinking kit, next would be another base) and have 8 upgrades in inventory, will get one more at the end - so certainly will have the fair complete at level 10.

Did they change the order/frequency of upgrades as grandprizes?

after the base they seem to have to me (there was two nonprizes after the base before getting back to grand prizes). But the last upgrade before the 2nd base was enough if you finish the questline.

Edit: just got far enough to confirm after the 2nd base the new order becomes:

base-upgrade-dud-dud-upgrade-dud-?

So I massively underestimated the cost of a 2nd world's fair and this looks like another event where for the small diamond spender there's no point in spending other than fixing a small screw-up. I'm guessing that for the second world's fair the pattern is 3 grand prizes per upgrade and you actually need to make it through 37 grand prizes to get world's fair #2 (vs earlier assumption of 25)

Last edited:
after the base they seem to have to me (there was two nonprizes after the base before getting back to grand prizes). But the last upgrade before the 2nd base was enough if you finish the questline.

thanks for the info :) But yeah, that's why I'm wondering: Emperess states that s/he's one short (which I can't understand, given her being at the same state as I'm)

DeletedUser9042

I agree with previous posters - do not add inbetween wins with the idols (FPs etc), every 20 idols should = a Fair upgrade.

Also... make winning scrolls part of the possibilities in the urns.
Either increase the number of tools you get per scroll package or reduce teh price of the tool kits.
Make additional individual tools cheaper.

Its fun to play this event, but waiting two days between being able to play erodes some of that fun. At the very least the daily quest should give enough scrolls to get one tool package... otherwise its a matter of waiting 2 days to play for another 5 minutes.

DeletedUser10046

I have a problem with this. I play on iPad, and
I can't get anything to clear stuff. Neithe brushes, spades or dynamite.

DeletedUser8944

I am enjoying this game/event. I have not really notice the change in availability. I like to do the archaeology part of the game but it is only when I get enough scrolls to buy the tools. that makes it somewhat disjointed. I play for a day, then wait several days to build up scrolls then play again. I am not sure if I will get enough to fully upgrade the fair but hope to. Overall, a good event. very enjoyable.

DeletedUser8743

I'd estimate I did 2/3 of the event after the balancing changes. I'm at level 9 already so I'll make level 10 and I still have one more 330 pack of items to use. Stuck to 330 packs. Maybe bought 5 or 6 individuals brushes. Focused exclusively on getting idols. Didn't waste tools to get vases.

Overall a nice event. Some actual strategy in the use of tools is a nice change from most of the other events.

DeletedUser9761

Unlike the Spring event where I was able to get the full level final Pagoda and all the Daily SSKs I went for, it looks like this event I may get to level 9 with the last 330 pack on the last day but will not get to level 10. I did get the Daily I wanted, 8 Carousels, but not the completed final building. With a few more balancing changes to the number of Idols or scrolls or ... The event can be a great success as a new type of event. Thank you.

DeletedUser10051

No one in my guild has managed to get the full L10 Fair without buying the 500 scroll pack. One of the ladies still didn't get past Level 7 on hers. I don't think my O-World town will have a prayer of finishing without some tweaks. I don't mind buying SOME scrolls, but that almost 2K cost on the 500 scroll pack - on top of the changes in diamond purchase packs is going to really HURT!

We either need way more gold idols, fewer rock walls, more scrolls via prizes or instances, or even something like a 5 Brushes for a low scroll price to get around the rock blockages. I'm sure there is a way to make this just a touch more likely to get to the end.

I've only been on FoE for a little over a year, but played Elvenar for 3 years. This is by far my Favorite event game! Over all, I love it. Just need to move that carrot a little closer and it will be perfect.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
No one in my guild has managed to get the full L10 Fair without buying the 500 scroll pack. One of the ladies still didn't get past Level 7 on hers. I don't think my O-World town will have a prayer of finishing without some tweaks. I don't mind buying SOME scrolls, but that almost 2K cost on the 500 scroll pack - on top of the changes in diamond purchase packs is going to really HURT!

We either need way more gold idols, fewer rock walls, more scrolls via prizes or instances, or even something like a 5 Brushes for a low scroll price to get around the rock blockages. I'm sure there is a way to make this just a touch more likely to get to the end.

I've only been on FoE for a little over a year, but played Elvenar for 3 years. This is by far my Favorite event game! Over all, I love it. Just need to move that carrot a little closer and it will be perfect.

Or to dig better. This event is rather polarizing because there is the opportunity to use tools significantly less efficiently. The tips I sent out to my guild before it releases on live:

Ok so the event's coming May 2nd. Unlike most of inno's past events the minigame in this one involves more than just choosing chests :) You get an infinite dig that you have to make a tunnel through. Certain squares when cleared will contain vases (which are the chests for the event), idols (which gain you progress towards the grand prize), or more tools to keep digging longer. You primarily gain tools by buying them with scrolls which you gain from the questline or diamonds.

The grand prize: World's Fair, a 6x4 10 level residential building that at max level produces 10 FP and 10 goods when motivated.

New prize (available through daily specials): Carousel - it's 3x3, pretty and animated. It gives culture, attack bonus, and defense bonus. It can be thought of as an improved winner's plaza.

Otherwise daily specials will contain the usual variety of stuff.

Event planning tips:
Safe: Getting level 10 on the world's fair without diamonds will require completing the questline and skipping some amount of vases most likely. If your main goal is to complete it you can treat vases the same as empty sand until you're close enough to completing 10 grand prizes (200 idols total). You'll get some number of vases anyways.
Greedy: If you dig well it won't take too many diamonds to complete the level 10 grand prize while grabbing every vase along the way.
Diamond-Crazy: It'll take a great deal of diamonds to get a 2nd world's fair to level 10 (think 30-40k). If this is going to be your goal you'll want to skip vases the same as the safe player to minimise how many you have to spend.

General Strategy:
1) Buy 330 scroll tool packages. They are *MUCH* more efficient than any other way of buying tools. You may buy the occasional spare brush for 10 scrolls. All other options are big wastes.
2) Try to maximize the number of shadowed tiles revealed with your tool uses. When you see an idol in a direction you weren't planning to go you can either use a shovel if there's much to reveal vertically or move past it one tile further with a brush and then dynamite that square to keep making progress while grabbing it. Also try to balance your tool usage. If you're getting stuck with a lot of extra shovels or dynamite from the 330 pack look for more opportunities to use them.
3) Remember to click on and collect things you cleared the sand from.
4) You do not need to clear or even reveal every tile of sand. You cannot clear bricks.
5) Revealed tiles that don't appear to have anything hidden don't have anything hidden.
6) Empty tiles can either be used to progress faster to the right or when they've slid to the left anything next to them will be revealed anyways.

In terms of pacing, assuming you complete the questline and get every daily login you need to average 17 idols per 330 scroll package to get level 10 without diamonds. You can use this to guide whether you need to figure out ways to dig more efficiently or to skip more vases that are out of the way.

Before the rebalance I was hitting 21+ idols / 330 scroll tool pack while ignoring out of the way vases. After the rebalance I was hitting 17-21. You need to average 17 so you can still afford to hit a few vases here and there you really like, but will probably need to skip some if you don't want to spend diamonds.

DeletedUser10052

Finished last quest and need still 14 more idols to get the full event building.
While the game is nice the rewards a miserable.
You have to choose between idols to go forward and rewards, not like other games so far, choose between rewards while going forward.
You cannot go for the daily because you have to collect scrolls to buy tool packs.