• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Abort Quest - Let's Fix This (Aborting Recurring Quests)

DeletedUser7942

(tl;dr please at least read my addressing of the two concerns highlighted below before responding because I've probably addressed what you'll respond with, thanks)

The issue? Well known to those whose main playstyle is recurring questing. That being that in order to do the recurring quest you want you have to abort numerous other recurring quests in order to get back to it after completing it in order to do it again. In my opinion it was a design decision that led to a bad consequence. I'm grateful IG has given us the option to choose which recurring quests we would like to do, however the process is flawed and easily remedied by allowing players to remove the quests they don't do. But let's go over this a bit first.

Over the years and reading through the history of posts on various servers this issue has come up time and time again and it is highly supported but sometimes rejected by the playerbase. I've recently had a rather exhaustive back and forth on the Live US forum regarding such, again. Here's what I've learned.

There are two main rejections. One is a legitimate concern I believe, the other however frankly I find absurd, to try to put it as nicely as possible.

The first concern which I find legitimate is the possibility a really quick and easy perpetual motion machine using Château Frontenac. Fair enough but calculating such one would need a 100+ CF in IA and much higher the higher the age one is in. Out of the reach and desire of most players I would say. However let's grant for the moment that it becomes gamebreaking. The solution is a simple one, reduce coin and supplies rewards or even remove them entirely thereby breaking the perpetual motion. See I'm all for looking for solutions to one potential problem without keeping the other problem that currently exists which is Abort Quest. (And btw it's Arc that broke the game and that is what everyone is actually doing.)

The second concern is rather dubious but I can see how some might think it to be genuine, it's not, please read to understand why. The concern goes something like this, it's part of the process of doing recurring quest to abort other recurring quests, if you give players the ability to remove the quests they don't do this would be in essence scripting, cheating, making it too easy, etc. something to that effect anyway.

The problem with that argument? It presupposes that was the purpose to the design. No, unless the guy who designed recurring quests would like to chime in on this as to his thinking I'm willing to bet that was not its purpose. The purpose to adding an Abort Quest was to give the player the option of doing that quest or not, simple as that. It was NOT some arbitrary means to slow players down so they would be deterred from potentially creating a perpetual motion machine. These quests were around before CF and the GB cap lifting so that wouldn't even have occurred to them at the time.

So since the purpose of aborting quests was most likely to let players choose which quest they want there is a better way to achieve that intent. Like with other recent game developments that have sought to streamline the game and provide a better gaming experience here to we can make a simple improvement by simply adding in a "Don't Show Again" when aborting a recurring quest thereby allowing the player to do what was intended and let them choose and do the quest they're wanting to do. Although I would also add a way of getting them back if they change their mind later on. A simple easy fix to the problem.

Aborting 6+ quests one doesn't do in order to do the quest one wants to do is not the requirement of any Recurring Quest and it's absurd to make it such. It's not right nor fair to others who play this aspect of the game to retrospectively justify a bad design that way. So, please, let us do the right thing here and fix this issue. For my own concerns, I play on all the US worlds and Beta and sometimes International as well, I do recurring questing on one world, my main and it has afforded a versatile playstyle that I've enjoyed greatly. Unfortunately I've also had to abort easily over 100,000 quests in that time as well and that's no exaggeration. But even if I didn't play this aspect of the game I would understand others do. And also I hope you enjoy my new signature, thanks for your consideration on the matter.

PS

Some various quotes from a recent update:

"...We have made some quality-of-life improvements that have been requested by you - our community..."

"...We have added the option "Don't show again" to...We hope that this will make it a bit smoother for you to finish your daily challenges and quests..."

"...In the spirit of removing things and, of course, based on the feedback we've seen since their introduction, we have also decided to remove the..."

"...This should speed up several aspects of the game such as..."
Changelog 1.124

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

An easy fix to this would be as suggested before:

Insted of showing "the next quest" when u solve a quest, make it start with the quest u just solved.
Eks: When u solve "use XX FP" then the next quest showing would be "use XX FP" and then the other quests in a row after that. Doing it this way players will still have the option to get all quests at will.

One exception would be when u trigger a new quest by taking a sektor on the province map or when u research something that gives u a brand new quest, in that case the new quest should be shown as the next quest one time, so u know u got a new quest.

DeletedUser8859

My city produces at the Town Hall / GB collection time enough coins to complete the "Fnord "quest 4 or 5 times, plus enough supplies to do 1 or 2 "Spinks", and one of the spend XXX FPs. Instead of going around aborting six or more quests to get back to one of these why not getting a screen with a list of all recurring quests where the player can select the next one to execute?

DeletedUser4381

My city produces at the Town Hall / GB collection time enough coins to complete the "Fnord "quest 4 or 5 times, plus enough supplies to do 1 or 2 "Spinks", and one of the spend XXX FPs. Instead of going around aborting six or more quests to get back to one of these why not getting a screen with a list of all recurring quests where the player can select the next one to execute?

Because that would be sensible... hth

DeletedUser7942

Turns out that if abort abort abort abort abort abort you play too many abort abort abort abort abort abort Recurring Quests you'll abort abort abort abort abort abort end up speaking abort abort abort abort abort abort what I call Abortspeak abort abort abort abort abort abort I can't stop it abort abort abort abort abort abort it's brainwashed me into abort abort abort abort abort abort speaking this way abort abort abort abort abort abort so now all my comments abort abort abort abort abort abort are like this abort abort abort abort abort abort aggravating isn't it?

DeletedUser8262

Another possible solution to prevent any abuse made possible by high level chateaux would be to limit the amount of recurring quests that could be completed in a 24hr period. This would also address the abuse that is also possible in the early ages

DeletedUser

Since we cant have a fix to avoid aborting 7 to 12 quests we dont want to solve, could we please have a two abort tab´s

Like this:
<Abort Abort>

If we press the one with "<Abort" we go one quest back, if we press "Abort>" we go one quest forward.

DeletedUser8859

Another possible solution to prevent any abuse made possible by high level chateaux would be to limit the amount of recurring quests that could be completed in a 24hr period. This would also address the abuse that is also possible in the early ages

The game is designed so that the player will have quests to solve at every time. If a player is doing recurring quests, is likely not doing the main storyline quest that surely will move him/her to the next era, something that the player does not plan to do at this time. Then if this solution blocks the player to continue doing recurring quests, then what?
  • Force him to move to next era when he/she does not want to?
  • Or to quit game until tomorrow since no more recurring quests until next 24 hrs?
Is the solution worse than the potential "abuse"?

Praeceptor

Marquis
This has to be the most irritating part of the game. Sometimes FoE feels more like a job than a pastime. There have been so many requests to streamline repeating quests, but they are always ignored. Devs never answer why, nor is it ever discussed during the facebook feedback sessions.

I can only imagine that Inno wants players to hit the 5 diamond collect all icon to save the hassle (which I do often), but high level players like me earn enough diamonds through GE to afford this. It's the weaker players who need the repeating quests much more than i do that are getting hit.

NorMags

Baronet
I would be pleased if they could get that frikkin' button appear at the exact same spot for all the quests. So i don't have to move the mousepointer up and down...

DeletedUser

I would be pleased if they could get that frikkin' button appear at the exact same spot for all the quests. So i don't have to move the mousepointer up and down...

Two buttons, one in each bottom corner would fix that. (if the bottom of the quest is put at the bottom of the window each time)

Go to previous quest (left side) ……………… (rigt side) Go to next quest

And skip the abort button.