• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Fixed on Beta: [32557] Popup windows should NOT autoclose on mouseclick to elsewhere

Andi47

Overlord
Reproduction Steps:
1. an GB where you are in top 5 of the contributor ranking finishes
2. do any action which forces the client to sync with the server
3. do an additional mouseclick (e.g. to do more actions in the game, e.g. closing a message window, collecting buildings, etc.)

Observed: I had opened the message center in step 2, and on attempt to close it, the mouseclick which was intended for the close button (i.e. step 3) closed the "GB xy finished, you earn yz reward" window, which had opened about 0.1 seconds before.

expected: I want to have a fair chance to see, which GB finished, and which rewards I got!

Issue Description (10/10): The "GB xy finished, you got yz Reward" window often appears at the moment where a user action forces the client to sync with the server. Hence the first mouseclick (e.g. open message center, collect buildings, etc.) is often followed by more mouseclicks to finish the action (e.g. open a message / close message or message center, restart producion in the building), it is easily missed, because this second mouseclick likely happens a split second after the window actually pops up. (note: it is *known* by dozens of bug reports and complaints all over the servers, that the game is somewhat laggish! Don't expect the sync and the following popup to happen within a millisecond!)

Suggestion
There are two kinds of popup windows which appear in the game:
1.) "expected" popups: These are deliberately opened by the user, so the user expects a window to pop up when doing a mouseclick. Examples: Quest window, treasure hunt, research tech window, building window (when restarting production), event history (when opening by clicking the button in the town hall) and such.
2.) "surprising" windows: These are of course part of the game, but the user does not expect them to open when doing a mouseclick (e.g. to aid guildmates, read messages, collect/restart buildings, etc.). Examples: "found blueprint" when aiding or "GB finished, earned xy reward" when the client synchronizes with the server (and a GB was finished since the last sync).

I would suggest that popup windows, which are "surprisingly" opening (i.e. type 2, see above), should NOT autoclose when clicking somewhere else outside the window. This is already true for the "found blueprint" window, but there is literally no chance to see the reward (or even which/whose GB finished) when the "GB finished, earned xy reward" window pops up.
Possible solutions to give the user a chance to find out which GB has finished and which reward(s) he earned:
a.) change the behaviour of the "GB finished, earned xy reward" window, so that it requires a click to its close button to close it.
b.) add a line to the event history when a GB has finished (i.e. the "GB finished" window pops up), so that the player can re-open and read it if he wants.

Technical Data
Beta:
1.66.4b7a485 (17.12.2015 9:33), Andi47 (73349), zz1, en_US, WIN 20,0,0,235, Windows 10, Firefox/43.0, 1920x947, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)

Live server:
1.66.10f8739 (15.12.2015 10:50), Andi47 (868769), de8, de_DE, WIN 20,0,0,235, Windows 10, Firefox/43.0, 1920x947, DirectX9Ex (336 MB VRAM)

I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported: Yes.
* This one is related to the already fixed ""found blueprint" window disappears when aiding", but I think that the developers are not aware that there is one more popup which is bitten by this issue.
* I don't think that it is related to the "quest autofinishing/autodisappearing" but, because that one does not require a mouseclick outside the window to be triggered.
* Found no other bug report for this.

Andi47

Overlord
*bump*
The changelog of version .... (de server) says that for some windows, where this funcionality is not wanted, the functionality to close it with a click in the background was removed. (last point here: https://forum.de.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/update-auf-version-1-68.22694/ )

For the window "you contributed to the GB of player x and got reward y" this is not true - it just happened to me here on beta that the window disappeared after a split second when I did a click which was meant for something else

(note: if you started to do a click (takes 0.1 seconds or so ;) ), it is next to impossible to stop it before the click is actually done, when you see a GB reward window popping up 0.05 secons later)

Sovereign

Inhouse Community Manager
Yep, will report and also include this thread. The suggestions used pretty much sum up how it should work.

Andi47

Overlord
* BUMP!!! *

Reported in the beginning of February, and the reward windows are still disappearing when clicking too fast. Well, seems I have to ask the support each time when this happens to me as this is currently the only way to get the information displayed in the reward window for 0.01 seconds....

DeletedUser

If an event log entry were created as well, I wouldn't mind this autoclosing.