• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Make copy and paste easier in HTML5

DeletedUser7107

Currently the copy and paste is awkward and does not work consistently. Just about anywhere you go you right click, click copy, right click, click paste. Works every time. But not in Forge of Empires. On worlds where I need to copy and paste, I have to resort to using Flash, which is coming to the end of it's life.
This is a simple issue to fix and it is way overdue.

DeletedUser

Works every time. But not in Forge of Empires.
And also not in Microsoft Office Online.
And also not with ever browser.
This is a simple issue to fix and it is way overdue.
Well, no.
It actually is not a simple task. Accessing the clipboard via context menu in HTML5 is not trivial and web developers around the world are fiddling with it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+is+my+clipboard+not+working+in+html5

Best we wait for the browser developers to implement full support for the new Clipboard API.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Clipboard_API

DeletedUser7107

Well, no.
It actually is not a simple task. Accessing the clipboard via context menu in HTML5 is not trivial and web developers around the world are fiddling with it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+is+my+clipboard+not+working+in+html5

Best we wait for the browser developers to implement full support for the new Clipboard API.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Clipboard_API

I am sorry but simple copy and paste has been around for years with HTML, in exists is virtually every game and web site I have ever visited, except this game

DeletedUser9156

@davidsabratt

Do you know the reason why it is difficult to implement and which big issues with security behind the scene is coming up?

Imagine you have a bank account (let´s say, a whole amount of humans have something like that) and they are using online transactions. Now go further and recognize a lot of people are copy & pasting their Password/PIN into the homepage, but hey, wait, what if a malicious site is opened who could easily read the clipboard from a whole other os layer and... funny thing... get access to the password and could go into your account. Yay, that would be so funny and exiting. :)

So at least there are two big troubles: Security and how to implement such thing 'cuz of the limitation of a web dev kit itself. If you have a solution, sell it to the whole world - you will be the next Bill Gates in the Web Development area. Go for it - I wish you luck and success!

DeletedUser7107

@davidsabratt

Do you know the reason why it is difficult to implement and which big issues with security behind the scene is coming up?

Imagine you have a bank account (let´s say, a whole amount of humans have something like that) and they are using online transactions. Now go further and recognize a lot of people are copy & pasting their Password/PIN into the homepage, but hey, wait, what if a malicious site is opened who could easily read the clipboard from a whole other os layer and... funny thing... get access to the password and could go into your account. Yay, that would be so funny and exiting. :)

So at least there are two big troubles: Security and how to implement such thing 'cuz of the limitation of a web dev kit itself. If you have a solution, sell it to the whole world - you will be the next Bill Gates in the Web Development area. Go for it - I wish you luck and success!

Bull. HTML merely tells a browser how to display a web page. People who really don't know about a subject always make it look more complicated than it is. Every other website I go to has no problem at all with this, Inno shouldn't either.

beelzebob666

Overlord
Pathfinder
Spoiler Poster
Every other website I go to
Never been on Google docs then, I guess...

Imagine... The solution Google came up with to allow copy/paste via context menu, is for you to download a separate application you have to have running as an interface...

But who is that GOOOOOGLE anyway...

DeletedUser

Bull. HTML merely tells a browser how to display a web page. People who really don't know about a subject always make it look more complicated than it is. Every other website I go to has no problem at all with this, Inno shouldn't either.
We're talking about HTML5 applications and not simple websites. That's the difference.

DeletedUser7107

I make a living fixing stuff, all kinds of stuff. If I were in the habit of telling my customer "can't be done", I would be out of business.
The 1st step is to gather info. Ask questions. Like, what do you need copy and paste for? In this case, we are talking about in the message center.. Now, if you can't figure out a way to make that work within the message center, then shame on you.
I am the customer, it is not my job to come up with the solutions. I spend good money to play this game and I expect the devs to make my game experience as pleasant as possible
Not an unreasonable expectation.

Sl8yer

Regent
I make a living fixing stuff, all kinds of stuff. If I were in the habit of telling my customer "can't be done", I would be out of business.
The 1st step is to gather info. Ask questions. Like, what do you need copy and paste for? In this case, we are talking about in the message center.. Now, if you can't figure out a way to make that work within the message center, then shame on you.
I am the customer, it is not my job to come up with the solutions. I spend good money to play this game and I expect the devs to make my game experience as pleasant as possible
Not an unreasonable expectation.

So you want Inno to gather info, ask questions and come up with a solution when the solution is already there, but you just do not like it. How can that not be an unreasonable expectation.

Youi make a living fixing stuff, so you get paid for it. What does Inno get paid for doing something not really needed?

DeletedUser7107

i guess we know who you guys work for.
this is beta. our input helps improve the game. you don't need to agree with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7107

Improvements are made because people demand them, not by being a good little clone and accepting "it can't be done"

trayk

Steward
Improvements are made because people demand them, not by being a good little clone and accepting "it can't be done"

I do not accept it cannot be done.
However I do accept "it is not easily done at the current time"

I also see the reality of the fact that the Devs have a lot more on their plate than coding happy fluff for people to lazy to hit a 2 key shortcut to do the same thing.

DeletedUser7107

Funny how people can't help themselves, they have a need to insert personal comments to make them selves feel superior. I don't consider this "happy fluff". I hear all the time from people that control c and control v do not work consistently. I know it didn't for me. That is why I continue to use flash. It is why I continue to push the issue in spite of the snide comments and superior attitudes

DeletedUser7107

My thinking, perhaps erroneous, is this. I am assuming the message center is an application. It is also where the vast majority of copy/paste occurs. Isn't it possible to have the right click copy paste contained within the app itself?

DeletedUser

gooflab already linked a feature (clipboards api) that is promising. here's another link you won't click: https://caniuse.com/#feat=clipboard
it says that most browsers do support that feature only partially as of now (paste is missing, probably because of security reasons).

you cannot push stuff here as the "problem" is a browser issue, not a game issue.