• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Not A Bug: [App] Can't access events older than ~12 hours from Event History

Andi47

Overlord
In the app (e.g. Android) do:

1.) open Event History
2.) scroll down...

--> you won't see any event which is older than ~12 hours
expected: as on Browser you should see every event within the latest 5 days.

DeletedUser8471

Not so much a bug as an oversight on the app features (among many others)

DeletedUser8341

It would be interesting to know whether this was a part of the specification for the app or was programmed incorrectly (i.e., whether it was a terrible decision or whether it is a long-standing bug).

Amy Steele

Regent
Hey Andi, I can see events back to last Sunday on my app (also Android). As far as I am aware the app history is limited to the last 50 events. Could you please confirm whether that is the case for you (ie you can see the last 50 events)?

Andi47

Overlord
I can't tell for sure (at the moment I am online on PC), but if I can remember correctly, they were ~50ish events.

The problem with seeing only 50 events (and thus only half a day back or so)
* on PC many players are aiding from the event list (only aiding those who have aided them in the last few days). On the app this is not possible.
** And so on app it is even more difficult to distinguish between active and inactive friends. <<- but this will become necessary to be able to fulfill those "collect 3500 tavern silver" conditions from the daily challenges, as soon as they go live.

DeletedUser

Hey Andi, I can see events back to last Sunday on my app (also Android). As far as I am aware the app history is limited to the last 50 events. Could you please confirm whether that is the case for you (ie you can see the last 50 events)?

On the iOS app I can confirm this limitation and it has been this way since I play FoE. (Over a year)

DeletedUser8341

I can't tell for sure (at the moment I am online on PC), but if I can remember correctly, they were ~50ish events.

The problem with seeing only 50 events (and thus only half a day back or so)
* on PC many players are aiding from the event list (only aiding those who have aided them in the last few days). On the app this is not possible.
** And so on app it is even more difficult to distinguish between active and inactive friends. <<- but this will become necessary to be able to fulfill those "collect 3500 tavern silver" conditions from the daily challenges, as soon as they go live.
* You can be attacked and even plundered but if you've not logged in for half a day, you can miss seeing an event about it.
** So, you have no idea who attacked you, or what units they used, so that you can adjust defence accordingly.
** Sometimes, you can see a plunder event without any idea when the attack was made. Even worse:
** You can sometimes see an attack was made but completely miss the time they plundered you, giving no opportunity to set your collection times to avoid them in future.

Events are considered so important to the game that the browser version puts them on screen every time the city is displayed! Yet app users are relegated to guess work and secondary status in competing with these players. App players can't even access the Event view without (at times) having to make a collection on their Town Hall, regardless of what recurring quest they are on.

Is this a bug, or was it intended that app players have such a disadvantage?

Amy Steele

Regent
It would be interesting to know whether this was a part of the specification for the app or was programmed incorrectly (i.e., whether it was a terrible decision or whether it is a long-standing bug).

As far as I know, neither was the case. It's more than likely that trying to load 5 full days of event history would crash the app every time, therefore a limit of 50 events was set. As such, this is not a bug

DeletedUser8341

As far as I know, neither was the case. It's more than likely that trying to load 5 full days of event history would crash the app every time, therefore a limit of 50 events was set. As such, this is not a bug
I don't buy that, Amy. A single building graphic would take more memory than 300 event history entries, yet there is no limit on town size for the app.

If size of history was seen as a problem, the app could have been programmed like the browser, that downloads a page at a time, rather than the more convenient continuous list. But that isn't the issue, so it is not a reason to class this as 'not a bug'.

I suspect that the whole app concept was originally concieved as something that PC players would use to keep their town going while away from their computer. With that in mind, they would only need the events from the last half day, at most, before getting back to the game on the PC. However, the app is promoted as the game itself (I had no idea people could play it on a browser for at least a week) yet the effort to make it fully comparable has never been committed.

Given that customers are led to believe by advertising that they can play Forge of Empires on the app (not just 'a subset', not just 'as a poor contender', not just as an adjunct to a browser) Inno are in one of two positions:
1 - this is a bug that needs to be fixed, or
2 - they have deliberately and knowingly decieved consumers.

Yes, I'm getting tough on this and that is every consumer's right in the EU and in many other parts of the world. If anyone finally gets fed up with this, it could go to Trading Standards bodies, consumer organisations and even be taken as a legal case. That's not something I propose but I do suggest that Inno come clean about just what it is they have programmed and why, and why that differs from their product promotions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

@Prinza the Hunter & @Zarok Dai I could not agree more.
I started playing on the app as well and many many others I know.
Looking for a game which could be played on an app instead of the PC as I suffer from severe RSI.
I simply can't play this on the computer apart from every so often a bit of GvG but that makes me suffer big time afterwards.
The guild I want to be part of requires us to play on the PC so I can't play fully with them.
Luckily the guildmembers like me but I feel so out of touch when they are able to chat and have fun.
While they avoid and dump other people who play on the app.
My only luck is that they like me but I feel constantly that I can't meet their standards.
This game is and was promoted via an advertisement I saw by a huge game competitor as a fully functional game.
For long time I had no idea there was a PC version and if that was so these platforms and players shouldn't be mixed as we have too many disadvantages over PC and mac players.
Once I saw this wasn't a complete game as the PC version was I felt mislead.
Not only that but for this crippled version of the original PC game premium players pay more for their diamonds.

I agree that the app feels more as a handy tool for PC players on the road than that this is a complete version of the game.
There are numerous disadvantages we have over PC players I believe in equal opportunities but we are not allowed, on the dutch forums, to even mention it.

I strongly believe in fair play and this simply means equal opportunities.

On this very forum I am bullied because I play via the app and moderators are seemingly okay with that.
What a mixed messages we get.

The competition seems to understand this better via which I saw the advertisement for FoE.
Because they have two pretty similar games one for the PC and an other version with other players for the app.
This is likely because not all features the PC version has can be implemented in the app.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7942

even be taken as a legal case
Not sure what standing that could possibly have and doubtful there's even precedent/case law, I mean if a newspaper has a website that says "come read the Sloppy Joe Times" and the website doesn't contain all the paper issue has is that bad/wrong/illegal? Or perhaps a cable company doesn't offer all of its services on its app that you get on the STB, bad/wrong/illegal? In regards to FoE what if the mobile app has features the Browser version doesn't? What if at some point the app version has more to it than the Browser version?

And talk about false advertising;

upload_2017-10-6_11-3-11.jpeg

upload_2017-10-6_11-4-15.jpeg

DeletedUser

Not sure what standing that could possibly have and doubtful there's even precedent/case law, I mean if a newspaper has a website that says "come read the Sloppy Joe Times" and the website doesn't contain all the paper issue has is that bad/wrong/illegal? Or perhaps a cable company doesn't offer all of its services on its app that you get on the STB, bad/wrong/illegal? In regards to FoE what if the mobile app has features the Browser version doesn't? What if at some point the app version has more to it than the Browser version?

And talk about false advertising;

View attachment 2740

We surely could have a case in this matter I know the different laws very well.
It isn't to say that it would be worth it to me.
It has to be something bigger for me than some sort of game to give that any priority.
I rather mind more important things.

Amy Steele

Regent
I don't buy that, Amy. A single building graphic would take more memory than 300 event history entries, yet there is no limit on town size for the app.

If size of history was seen as a problem, the app could have been programmed like the browser, that downloads a page at a time, rather than the more convenient continuous list. But that isn't the issue, so it is not a reason to class this as 'not a bug'.

We've checked this and been informed that the app did initially have a full 5 day history. However, the longer event history info was overloading most app players devices, so it was restricted to the 50 entries we currently see. As this is functioning as intended, it is by definition not a bug.

Could this be done differently/better than at present? Almost certainly! One idea that I came up with is to implement a filter on the app event history, and have a default filter selected on loading. This would prevent the app crashing in the same way as the restricting the event history to 50 entries has done.

On this very forum I am bullied because I play via the app and moderators are seemingly okay with that.

InnoGames, its staff and moderators do not condone bullying in any way. If you feel that any post on this forum breaches our rules of conduct, in particular the one that says:

- Please keep all communications respectful of the Community and Staff at all times.

please help us to help you by bringing the offending post to the attention of our forum moderators by clicking 'Report' at the bottom of the post in question.

Finally, please remember that this is the bug report section. It's particularly important as this is the beta forum to keep this section for the reporting of bugs only.

If you wish to discuss the event history, app version versus browser version, or any other aspect of the game please do so in the Game Discussion section of this forum. Or to propose new ideas as to how the event history on the app can be improved please use the Feedback section, thank you