• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Not A Bug: City tooltips causing 2MB/s memory leak

DeletedUser6837

Reproduction Steps:

Run the game in Firefox. Launch the Task Manager to watch the processes. Hover mouse over city buildings so tooltips are shown.

Issue Description (10/10):

This seems to be a recent problem (1.87) affecting the game with Firefox and Edge browsers, but not noticeable with Chrome.

When running in Firefox, while the mouse is hovered over a building in the city and a tooltip is shown, the memory size of the "Abobe Flash Player 23.0.r0 (32 bit)" increases by about 2 MB/sec. The game responsiveness also seems a bit slow.

When running in Microsoft Edge, while the mouse is hovered over a building in the city and a tooltip is shown, the memory size of the "Microsoft Edge Content Process" increases by about 0.7 MB/sec. After about a minute this jumps to a faster rate of about 10 MB/sec.

Player: amaurice (113686)
World: zz1
Operating System: Windows 10
Browser Version: Firefox/49.0
Flash Version: WIN 23,0,0
Viewport Size: 1627x908

1.88.746809f (20.10.2016 8:30), amaurice (113686), zz1, en_US, WIN 23,0,0,185, Windows 10, Firefox/49.0, 1627x908, DirectX11 (336 MB VRAM)

I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported: yes

DeletedUser6837

Update:

The problem also occurs with tooltips when viewing other players cities.

The perception of slowness is probably because the mouse cursor is failing to change back to default after actions (e.g. left as the spinning wheel, etc.). The cursor is reset back to default when moved off the game window and back on.

Andi47

Overlord
I have no hope that this will ever be fixed. Well, it's a memory leak, which is Inno's favorite issue to ignore. (like all the other memory leaks known since the invention of FoE)

DeletedUser5383

I have put this on Beta forum and think it needs to be here too.
I was using over 3,5 million kb of ram for just flashplayer and it was still building since last night, making FoE unplayable after 10 - 20 seconds.
Someone recommended a browser called 'Torch' (a Chrome derivative) I must say I'm well impressed, no memory leak even though every other browser leaked memory like a bucket with no bottom, and has been working sweet all day no problem once set up.
Tips:
Only use torch site to download, other sites have bundled crap warez. http://torchbrowser.com/
On installing there are a couple of check boxes to uncheck at the beginning (make me default, etc)
And a couple on the finish install page to uncheck.
Get ad block extension as ads will send ram up ( as noticed on FoE wiki)
Has a nice feature of any video your watching just one click and it will download video and a separate audio (aac file) as well.
It's fast and light, might not go back to Firefox if this keeps up :)

Andi47

Overlord
Hmmm... regarding what I see (memory running full much faster than last few days): Is it really the tooltip, or is it just leaving the city open and waiting?

DeletedUser6837

Watching the memory in task manager with the city open. Moving the mouse over a building starts increasing the memory. Moving the mouse off the buildings (e.g. over the meadows), the memory stops increasing.

There does seem to be other cases where the memory jumps up. For example, each time I aided someone from the city popup screen, then the memory seemed to increase with each floating box created by each aid.

thephantom

Emperor
InnoGames
Just to double check, that's the 49.0.1 version of FF? There have been a few reports here of general lag the last 2ish days, but there have also been reports on live markets and some are mentioning they're experiencing it with other flash games as well. It may be an issue with FF/Flash, will see if we can find a bug report to track.

Can other reproduce the same using the latest version of Firefox? Mine is also up to date but I'm not experiencing the same - if I move the mouse over a building memory increases slightly but if my mouse remains there it stops rather quickly. It's certainly not that high of an increase, it's more around 0.1 or 0.2 MB/s.

Do you have Adobe Flash 23 or a previous version?

Andi47

Overlord
I did not constantly watch the task manager, but yesterday I experienced two crashes due to memory leak-o-rama

1.88.746809f (20.10.2016 8:30), Andi47 (73349), zz1, en_US, WIN 23,0,0,162, Windows 10, Firefox/49.0, 1920x947, DirectX11 (336 MB VRAM)

BTW: Here in the forum the middle button between "post reply" and "more options" does not load for me.

podkap1970

Emperor
Just to double check, that's the 49.0.1 version of FF? There have been a few reports here of general lag the last 2ish days
yes it did start after i did update my Firefox to version 49.0.2, yesterday (i had no problem with 49.0.1)
now its unplayable (everything rubbish/slow motion), but i don't really want to go back to the old version or using another browser
Flash is version 23.0.0.185, but i think its the Firefox, gonna try IE atleast ones, and see

Edit: i switched quick to IE version 11.0.36 (11.0.9600.18499) and Flash Player Version (22,0,0,210), there is no problem
i updated the Flash player to the newest version (23,0,0,185), and game runs still well

i don't have Chrome or any other browsers to test it

Last edited:

DeletedUser6837

I have had the problem with Firefox 49.0.1 this week. I have just updated to Firefox 49.0.2 and the problem is still there. So the problem was present for me before and after the update of Firefox.

My flash version is 23.0.0.185.

I do have the memory leak problem when using Firefox with the live servers too.

Last edited by a moderator:

thephantom

Emperor
InnoGames
The source of the problem is a feature that Mozilla has enabled in their latest verison. There is a way to solve it for now if you want to use Firefox. These are the steps we can take to circumvent the problem:

1. Open Firefox, type the following in the URL bar and hit enter: about:config
2. You will get a warning message that you should not proceed unless you know what you’re doing – accept this and continue
3. Search for “dom.ipc.plugins.asyncdrawing.enabled”
4. This setting has value “true” by default (read: it’s enabled)
5. In order to fix the problem, we must disable this. We can do this by double-clicking on it
6. Once the value is off (will be shown as “false”), we can reload the game or forum in question, and the performance should be better again.

Of course you can also play using a different browser if you find that to be an easier alternative. The issue should not be present on other browsers.

Andi47

Overlord
Wow, THAT is a difference!

Before, the CPU was working very hard (with the game being very laggish anyway) and the fan was desperatly spinning at peak to cool the CPU, while memory was running full faster than you could say "memory-leak".

After deactivating the Firefox "feature" FoE is playable again, and also the CPU load is back to reasonable amount.

Thanks to Darkstar for pointing this out!

DeletedUser6837

I've just tried the workaround suggested and it fixes the problem for me too. Thanks. :)

DeletedUser7672

The source of the problem is a feature that Mozilla has enabled in their latest verison. There is a way to solve it for now if you want to use Firefox. These are the steps we can take to circumvent the problem:

1. Open Firefox, type the following in the URL bar and hit enter: about:config
2. You will get a warning message that you should not proceed unless you know what you’re doing – accept this and continue
3. Search for “dom.ipc.plugins.asyncdrawing.enabled”
4. This setting has value “true” by default (read: it’s enabled)
5. In order to fix the problem, we must disable this. We can do this by double-clicking on it
6. Once the value is off (will be shown as “false”), we can reload the game or forum in question, and the performance should be better again.

Of course you can also play using a different browser if you find that to be an easier alternative. The issue should not be present on other browsers.
Thanks a lot!!!! <3

DeletedUser4095

Well the fix works, I just hope it wont raise any other issues, but thank you Darkstar

thephantom

Emperor
InnoGames
Well the fix works, I just hope it wont raise any other issues, but thank you Darkstar
Shouldn't cause any issues really. For more info check out Adobe's Update Announcement. Scroll down to "Mozilla NPAPI AsyncDrawing Support", it explains what it does - it's basically a new method of handling SWFs (the files/content in the game in our case). They mention themselves how to disable it and it's pointed out that if it's unavailable for any reason it falls back to the existing method (which is also what would happen if you disable it).

Basically, there should be no side effect to turning it off.