• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Cultural Settlements - Ancient Egypt

xxGuruxx

Farmer
Finished first round...or second round of Egypt. Just a few notes for people that may still be looking for whatever it is worth.

1. If you are going to delete anything, delete the goods buildings (barley, pottery, flowers). Don't delete any military building or even roads. Put those to the side when you are rearranging your city. You will lose the slots you opened for your military buildings if you delete them and it will cost you more deben.
2. Make sure you match up those troops to the opposing army. Can not state that enough. If there are 4 light, then bring 4 of ranged if you have it. Otherwise you may need to either get a little creative in your battle or skip that battle for the day.
3. As everyone already knows a little planning goes a long way. If you lose 4 light troops for a battle it will take 16 hours to remake those back. If you lose 2 elephants, 16 hours needed.....and so on. The same can be said with loot. If you have 3 goods buildings and you run 2 8hr and 1 4 hr run per a day you need 250 loot per a goods building per a day. So you can get by on Easy and medium battle for 750 loot for 3 goods buildings.

I had 10 days to spare at the end, so should be able to at least get 1 lvl 4 obelisk and become more efficient as my multiplier goes up for hopefully more.

Pretty well balanced after you get through it for a few days.

PS. Oh yeah the 30000 deben at the end was a HUGE PITA, but 3 pyramids made short work of it. Make sure you take out enough obstacles to remove 3 areas that you can have 6x6 buildings.

estrid

Baronet
In addition to Quest 20 mentioned above already the last Quest wants you to produce 30 of each cultural good. So you need 1200 extra loot to complete it.
Thanks HappyCheetah! I'm still building back some barracks/soldiers but might have again deleted everything after getting those 300 loot. 30 each is quite a lot.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
Do I need diplomacy after the pyramids are opened?

Not if you've been keeping up on quests. But you'll likely keep most of the diplomacy needed to unlock pyramids anyways because of the last quest where you have to make 30k debens (which is best done with 2-3 processions and/or pyramids)

estrid

Baronet
Not if you've been keeping up on quests. But you'll likely keep most of the diplomacy needed to unlock pyramids anyways because of the last quest where you have to make 30k debens (which is best done with 2-3 processions and/or pyramids)
Okay, thanks! Then I can get rid of all the non-deben decorations to make some space.

Umbrathor

Baronet
Finished my first complete run-through of the Egyptian settlement. Summary of my experience:
  • It helps a lot that you now get some loot to start the first production(s) of barley
  • The fights take some getting used too, but are definitely doable. However, chariots and elephants becomig available so late is a pain since they are required for many of the harder battles
  • Also, I repeat that the longer building and training times for chariots and elephants (8h) make no sense
  • The number of free impediment removals worked for me, and it is a novel approach to impediments
  • However, at the end with the pyramid (even one) I really needed every impediment remover I still had left, and was lucky I had saved one or I would not have been able to place the pyramid without destroying some buildings that I would have hated losing. I would propose adding an extra remover on the quest just before the pyramid. Even then people may use them before realizing that they will need it for that purpose. It might be wise to put some kind of extra warning or advice in the questline for that purpose
  • Maybe even make it a separate quest: "clear an area large enough to build a pyramid" as the description, and the quest objective being: "use an impediment remover"
  • The 30.000 Deben at the end is a bit much. I built 2 pyramids since I was able to afford extra expansions with lucky x4 Flowers and Sacrifical offerings, but 30 of each goods -which requires an extra day at least- and 30.000 deben which I did not even manage in the same time frame is a nasty surprise when you think that you are at the end. Please consider toning that down to 10 of each good and 5.000 deben at most
  • The visuals are stunning, and the art department did a great job. I love the look of the city, which was spendid at the end. A special call out for the elephant. I considered deleting elephant units just so I could keep producing them for that lovely visual of the elephant showering itself with sand!
  • The rewards are nice, though I believe that the extra units on the bathouse are wasted on most players. Not an attactive bonus. In view of the extremely long time it takes to go through a single Egyptian settlement, I am not sure whether I will run this settlement on all the worlds I play on. I do like the obelisk, but I am not sure it is worth the time. By which I mean the amount of time needed to run through an entire settlement. It would be good to shorten this, by lowering the amount of goods needed to unlock progress.
  • I liked the fact that you could clear more expansions than in Japan and Vikings. Building a city is the most filfilling part of this game for me, and I liked being able to leave a truly magnificent settlement city at the end. Definitely a bonus point for the Egyptian settlement.
  • I was lucky getting some x4 on the loot for two hard battles. Otherwise I would have been hard pressed to keep the loot flowing in at the later stages of the game, where I had four or five flower farms or Places of prayer running.
  • The deben income was more than enough for me, I never had a problem paying for troops or roads. I still advise against the roads costing money though, it makes little sense. And you need lots of roads at the end, to get around the impediments that you cannot remove.
  • One more thing: I think there is a misunderstanding among the development team that restructuring a city is a fun aspect of the game. Please check among the player base whether this is true. Personally, I prefer not having to delete buildings and having to completely restructre the city very often, and preferable not at all. Once I have it the way I want it, I like to be able to just add, not remove or restructure just to be able to add the next type of building. For me, the excessive restructuring is not a fun aspect.
  • All in all, fairly okay. Main points are the stunning visuals, the fun of building and leaving a large and beautiful settlement behind, versus the not too interesting rewards and the very long time it takes to run through it, with too much difficuly puzzling (6x6 and the 3x5 were quite hard to find or make room for).
Edit: typos and clarifications

Last edited:

DeletedUser9587

On the 5rd day I left, I was bored to wait 24 hours to negotiate for goods, I do not plan to do it and I did all the previous ones. I get bored!

Lekaylee

Farmer
Heyho

Now 2 Things to unlock left and Quest 17/23... 8 days left -
I took some Diamons we got for testing, to get rid of impediments otherwise i would be far behind now. If you only use the few we got from the Quests,... it will be very hard to do it in time.
I do my very best in making the fights for loot with the Tips I had here. THANKS again!
It is getting better - very slowly but the Elefants are very useful sice I got them.
For people going to work it will be very hard so I hope you give them enough Time to get the fragments.
Hope the Time for the whole settlement will not be shortend....
The Idea of reducing the last Quest to 5000 Deben and 10 of each good would be fine :)
Maybe ... I hate the permanent "building and rebuilding" like we had it at the vikings...the Japans are at this point better balanced.
Atleast i like this settlement very much.
No problem with getting enough Deben for Streets or Army

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
You have put an obstacle in every sector yet you have not supplied enough axes to remove enough of them on level three?
There is now a free removal on quests 6 - 9 - 12 - 15 and certainly 18 (I'm at 16).
That's enough, with 8 expansions and 3 obstacles removed, I had too many factories for the loot obtained.
MsW-KqMHRikoUEydBYOliB5-YnL_mTSxv8A6nlyMzofv1QX1XpBv0I6jdLMaOL-QaTfm5wQkc8ai2UTcFRc1qZtFpxjrWCz_ZC-4hNTeg3zXiKkHF-R4JOpiJeFRjRXG6L7kmp7EShoX_CM5zepFKLbcAURoo1syrdK1gBf0_sm-D69NdmEgxNaekYnFiBrXBFr8UqFqrBW_HMCwgie6PTFm3LhqgOMAfqUuYDMFqGRI4-IfwJFg2oS2v_zaVjhrsHFDf_NUzRjeaY1HveTMn3Itee7b9fF87JnDGfy2hYpYPD8xdg5bgGKxnMDlCfSnsD8pfzGrqkPP8LEpOPIl-CWnSAkZ4EBbnqBbAWoacokA9Uv23565dkmtHUiGUZFyAQhfgw3icxrDL3cm-BqcMH1KX_xpZaXDBk-UISpzQzkT4Dgx3e3QEgAgKF4WyTFOHk6Q5sXRXW2iQ2cDIwjuj2bHyMKfAcnw4POe0Qg0ZjbcvhUXEHNdRYrJjOZ92RCNtArwUYMhaPMv_3xhQqN8HmJgM8y-332XOvX1YMGSCOH3bynygi37QPF68lEGOh3wd2XnqmHv2bblsFyAackiLuCDZuBPZCh0S8nTN7Bsb2pJ0ZVBMzHFJQ4El-odPZ_EdApoB1a8RWDCW1Jq5N06DrKF-yhq_aDhHmPIXjFIMXTfXJHuoFnzK5R6_r85O4wdZg7SNzzW0MMW2cxq58C1FIVlNSxj0VwTeeQrNkGpqVg4AKKN=w1565-h800-no

DeletedUser10047

I'm a non-fighter. When I do have to fight in the game, I use auto-battle. That doesn't work for the Egyptian settlement, so I've had to use manual fighting. I didn't bother to learn a lot of fighting strategy.

I was fortunate to get the 4x multiplier on loot twice early on (and once right toward the end). Mostly I only had two goods buildings operating at a time. I never fought the hard battle, only the easy and medium. I never built the Elephant Stable (except to complete a quest, I think, but then deleted).

I did not spend any diamonds for anything. If I needed space for re-arrangement, it was usually diplomacy that was deleted, but sometimes residential or goods buildings. Except for the first few days, I didn't need diplomacy buildings to produce Deben. I almost always had enough diplomacy in my settlement to unlock the next Advancement.

By carefully choosing which expansions to open, I was able to work around the impediments. I only cleared impediments to move my Embassy back.

I will finish with over six days to go. The settlement required very little of my attention and was quite easy to get max rewards.

Adthen

Merchant
I don't like fighting. I can't seem to finish this event without fighting. Is there a way to get treasure without fighting?

estrid

Baronet
I hope there were the reconstruction mode as in our permanent cities.
I also find it hard to see impediments and roads, which makes rearranging difficult.

CrashBoom

Legend
reached last quest
FINALLY they made a counter for each good and not one for all together
:D

so I will be finished in 2 days (5 days left)
and only bought 11 expansion