• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback Changes to Road costs in Vikings and Feudal Japan

It's an annoying change. If the coins from the town hall balance it out then why do it? If they don't then admit that it is to make it more difficult. It's also likely that this won't change the complete nature of the build and destroy that is necessary on settlements but just that it makes it more difficult. With Japan that's probably not much of a problem. Vikings on the other hand was a pain in the neck without this change.

DeletedUser5097

but also because we feel that using this strategy is annoying to the player in the long run
From the announcement ehm well Inno you must be confused. We as players are not
annoyed by this strategy but because of bad changes made with not much thought about
the impact.
Further more I agreed with the general opinion that this change is rather destructive for
exciting settlements. For being it’s own part of the challenge in the Egyptian settlement it
might be fine.
I just really hope you will cancel this change and learn not to fix what is not broken

Takethat

Merchant
That is correct, there is now a Cultural cost for roads, I have updated the announcement.

As I said in the other thread, what happens if I build roads, then destroy them, having less than 200 cultural coins and no building connected ? My cultural settlement is just dead ?

Gindi4711

Steward
While I agree with the idea behind that change and think it should have been done from the start I think there is additional balancing required:

1.) Instead of selling roadings it will now be selling goods production and houses and waiting for an hour. I dont think this will make it much better. I suggest instead of adding gold cost to roads it would be better if production/goods buildings will have reduced production if diplomacy falls below the level required to unlock them. I am thinking about a 50% reduction similar to happiness in the main city.

2.) If it is not possible to sell roads and can not reorder our base as often I think we need a few more expansions to compensate that or it will get really hard to reach the gold chest.

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
annoyed by this strategy but because of bad changes made with not much thought about
the impact.
Further more I agreed with the general opinion that this change is rather destructive for
exciting settlements. For being it’s own part of the challenge in the Egyptian settlement it
might be fine.
I just really hope you will cancel this change and learn not to fix what is not broken

Oh building and selling many toros/runestones is *absolutely* one of the things that pisses me off about settlements as a longtime detractor of the feature who grudgingly completed them because the rewards are OP. I don't think this change affects that though really (I already preferred to be selling things other than roads for the space anyways - i.e. goods buildings I was done with, any huts I was still using). I also doubt it changes the balance much - I was never particularly challenged on the time in Vikings - and usually had a large stockpile of coins by the end. Japan I was pressed on the first run through before I started diamond-opening the gallery(and thus merchant) off the start every time, but similarly it's only near the start that coins were much of an issue - and the increase in starting cash covers that sufficiently in my mind - might even make starts easier (can run 2 soy if you can fit them for a longer period of time since you're not going to have to spend the full 2500 on roads immediately).

DeletedUser

. You are great at making the wrong changes based on totally wrong conclusions.
What makes you think they had ever given us TRUE reasons...?

The only conclusions they honour come from their accountants. Too little diamonds were spent due to settlements, because players were deleting roads instead of buying place for diaxes. That and only that is rellevant to developers. Though we should call them accountant managers, I guess...

It is hard to watch good game becomes only money source. I think we should be grateful that they keep paying the graphics their share, because it's lovely piece of money grabbing garbage, no doubt.

DeletedUser9797

I can't understand the logic. You've added just the road cost without addition, for example, the option of destroying different stones and barriers in settlements. Why did you chose a very strange new thing from Egyptians and decided it could be useful for old settlements? I'm sorry, but it seems to me that you do anything just for paying diamonds by players without any thinking about the game process. I can't explain in a reasonable way your idea that players should pay for roads ~ half of their settlements coins from the very beginning. I understand that you'd like players to pay diamonds but can you save, at least, old options available as they are? Once you changed the last task from building goods factories to collecting settlement coins and goods, don't you think it was enough?! If you continue such improvements as the road cost in old settlements, well, should we wait for the payment for logging in?!

qaccy

Emperor
I'm looking at this change under the assumption that deleting roads was never necessary to 'win' at settlements. However, if roads are now going to have a coin cost then I do think that some rebalancing may be necessary now that producing goods has to compete with building roads, especially in the very beginning of a settlement when a player starts in an empty grid with nothing but the Embassy. Perhaps the coins produced from the Embassy can increase with each cultural advancement unlocked?

Umbrathor

Baronet
Making roads cost money means that puzzling out new configurations is getting expensive, since you cannot just delete roads and bunch up the buildings to try out a better configuration. If you were to add an option to resturcture the settlement by putting buildings in a temp storage like Reconstruction mode, Without such an option, roads should not cost coins.

DeletedUser9778

I try to find some sense here but I can't, sorry, for me is just increasing the probability for the players to use diamonds.
I still need to finish the Vikings...what a pain will be, did them 4 times, never finished in gold because always lack of coins. I think I will do them without aiming to finish in gold time, at least will be easier for me

Uzii

Farmer
I am also very unpleased by costs of roads.. If we have some way how to rebuild settlement city for each research, it will be OK. But imagine on mobile phone. There is no option how to move and place two buildings on small place. You have to delete something, than put new building a than relocate the old one. On PC, you can place new building across old one and than relocate it. So now I have to rebiuld settlement city only on PC because of the charges of the roads and building time of buildings.. So please add same possibilities on mobile and PC and than we can say ok... But in this case its horrible...

DeletedUser10265

the impact.
might be fine.
freely quoted from the announcement

whom of us players did you ask? or how else did you come to such a preposterous assumption?
The vikings were broken from the very beginning. The necessity to demolish roads, build runestones, demolish runestones and rebuild roads was a pain in the ass, that's totally true. I cannot imagine how anybody could actually enjoy doing it with 20 road tiles and risking demolishing e.g. a shrine due to misclick, many times in one settlement. So, the IG is right about it.

The problem is, they don't see the real issue, namely the settlements are not balanced, especially vikings. They didn't ask the most important question: why the players are doing such annoying things? The answer is: because they have to. If your settlement is running perfectly, but you lack over 100 diplo points to unlock a building, it menas the diplo requirement is too high (or the diplo buildings provide too little diplo points). If the only option to win the golden chest is to have a lucky layout of impediments and be lucky with quadruple productions, and you cannot compensate bad luck with your skills, you cannot call it challenging. It's just a gamble.

AGranolaBar

Squire
Too much to read but i will say this the announcement made it sound like this is helping us players when clearly it is not.
The road cost compared to, for ex the Town Hall production, is quite high and stops me from rearranging my city to find an optimal setup.
So keep the cost but add a Reconstruction Tool or something, that is if help and misuse of diplomacy was what you were going after.

Takethat

Merchant
The vikings were broken from the very beginning. The necessity to demolish roads, build runestones, demolish runestones and rebuild roads was a pain in the ass, that's totally true. I cannot imagine how anybody could actually enjoy doing it with 20 road tiles and risking demolishing e.g. a shrine due to misclick, many times in one settlement. So, the IG is right about it.

The problem is, they don't see the real issue, namely the settlements are not balanced, especially vikings. They didn't ask the most important question: why the players are doing such annoying things? The answer is: because they have to. If your settlement is running perfectly, but you lack over 100 diplo points to unlock a building, it menas the diplo requirement is too high (or the diplo buildings provide too little diplo points). If the only option to win the golden chest is to have a lucky layout of impediments and be lucky with quadruple productions, and you cannot compensate bad luck with your skills, you cannot call it challenging. It's just a gamble.

Nah dude the way they want you to progress through the settlement is :

-Find an optimal layout for goods/coin production
-Gather enough goods to unlock next upgrade
- Destroy all your goods / coin buildings to go full diplo and be able to unlock the upgrade.
- Build everything again ( because f*** all of us I guess)

Feanor II

Baronet
We have seen more and more players using a strategy that was never intended in the original design: Players would sell roads to temporarily place diplomacy buildings, to briefly be able to unlock the next advancement. Since this strategy goes against the intended balancing, but also because we feel that using this strategy is annoying to the player in the long run, we introduced costs to the roads. To compensate, the embassy will now produce some amount of cultural coins daily. So if you don't sell any roads and just build the required amount, you should not be at a disadvantage.
Translated:
"We have found that players managed to twist and contort themselves through the hoops in such a way as to actually reach the goal, so we've added more hoops in the hopes that this will finally stop people from wanting anything to do with our game".

This is like a cookie company saying "We know we put some cow dung in the recipe, but people aren't vomiting yet, so we're putting horse dung in there as well." If players had to come up with unintended strategies in order to stand a chance at the original design then there's something wrong with the original design!!!!! The Settlements have been unbalanced from the get-go, and people twisted themselves around to get through them. But instead of fixing it, they made it worse.