• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Feedback The new negotiation feature

• Thread starter DeletedUser9682
  • Start date

DeletedUser9682

There is a new feature when negotiating: You cannot select an item that you previously selected for the same slot.
I understand there are some cases when you need this, but in most times I find this feature to be a bit confusing. At the 2nd or 3rd turn you never know exactly how many items you have left to select. In this slot I see 4 available, in the next one I see only 3 left.

The disabled items look the same, no matter if it's only disabled for that slot alone or it's disabled in general. Can you please at least make the disabled items in different colors?
I need to know how many items I have left.
Thank you. :)

xivarmy

Overlord
Perk Creator
I mostly found it took getting used to. I did about 50ish negotiations on thursday to look at the new attrition progression. It really was messing me up for the first 20 or so negotiations, but by the end I was used to what I now needed to track and where to look if I wanted a list of every option left. I overall feel the new system will be better for when I'm zonked out and trying to negotiate fast (where I often do make unintended mistakes of offering the same good in the same place twice).

Perhaps a good compromise would be to show outside of the selection window an overall negotiation status with a list of goods in the negotiation and whether they are still available to guess in any slot or not.

DeletedUser10047

I thought @Sorin199 's suggestion was a good compromise (use a different color for the goods that are still available but don't work for the slot). Which is to say, they'd still be disabled, but easy to identify as still being valid goods for the other slots.

DeletedUser9396

I went through the same reactions as Sorin and DWN before finding myself at the same point as Xivarmy.

Was it a high-priority change that the devs have offered? No. Did it cause a lot of confusion because of how it rolled out? Yes.

My 2 cents are 1) Xiv's right that it will prevent some accidental misses on negs, 2) it will mess up more experienced players and not the newbs who will appreciate it more, 3) even experienced players can learn to use it to their advantage -- so when Inno rolls this out, please, please add a popup alert for the first few negs so that experienced players like us are not caught in the position of flooding Inno with "what the hell?!?!" messages or false bug reports. (#ididthat)

DeletedUser9396

I thought @Sorin199 's suggestion was a good compromise (use a different color for the goods that are still available but don't work for the slot). Which is to say, they'd still be disabled, but easy to identify as still being valid goods for the other slots.
-1 for the color coding idea. Will not be needed once experienced players adapt. And won't benefit newbs at all.

6zeva9

Baronet
I have no problem with the new negotiating process, at least I do not need to try and remember what went amber on the first round, but is now off the screen and waste goods by offering them to the same person again.
Keep
It
Stupidly
Simple

DeletedUser9419

i think it's a great idea but the way it's integrated into the UI is terrible, since you now can't reliably see which goods are still open for trading. a color coding / little red "!" when you select a good that you've already offered and the inability to submit an offering with repeated good offerings would have been better imho.

DeletedUser8887

This feature doesn't work for me because the way I negotiate requires me to be able to see all the goods that are still available for use. To me, a better solution would be to make all rounds of negotiation visible.

Fenix

Viceroy
It's a good improvement but it took some time for me to be used to it (the color suggestion it's also a good improvement).

Beta-OD

Squire
i think it's a great idea but the way it's integrated into the UI is terrible, since you now can't reliably see which goods are still open for trading. a color coding / little red "!" when you select a good that you've already offered and the inability to submit an offering with repeated good offerings would have been better imho.

This... Great idea, bad implementation.

sirblu

Baronet
After the initial learning curve - which has been mentioned above - I think it is a good change but noticed it was not rolled out to the live servers when the attrition change was rolled out. Is it going to be rolled out the the live servers? I think it is more confusing having it one way on Beta and the old way on the live servers.

FrejaSP

Viceroy
I don't think I ever will get use to it, it's very confusing not to know what goods I still available for use. Let me turn it off or give them a different color.

qaccy

Emperor
I don't really get the confusion. You click for an NPC and can only select offers that you haven't given to that NPC yet. How will disabling every option you've tried for that NPC make you more prone to errors? The only 'error' that can be made is giving the same offer to an NPC more than once, and this update removes that possibility entirely.

DeletedUser10047

I don't really get the confusion. You click for an NPC and can only select offers that you haven't given to that NPC yet. How will disabling every option you've tried for that NPC make you more prone to errors? The only 'error' that can be made is giving the same offer to an NPC more than once, and this update removes that possibility entirely.
Not all brains approach problems in the same way. Some people solve the problem of which resources to place in which slots in its entirety before placing resources in any slot. Other people solve the problem on a slot by slot basis.

qaccy

Emperor
@dontwannaname Either way, what does removing an option from one NPC change about how you interact with the others? You still know that a yellow option goes somewhere else, the only thing that's different after the update is that you can't give that yellow option to the same NPC again on subsequent turns. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just really don't see how this negatively affects anyone's negotiation style. Under the assumption that every available option for an NPC is potentially the right one, minus the ones you've already excluded on previous turns, how is it possible to make a mistake when offering?

DeletedUser10047

@dontwannaname Either way, what does removing an option from one NPC change about how you interact with the others? You still know that a yellow option goes somewhere else, the only thing that's different after the update is that you can't give that yellow option to the same NPC again on subsequent turns. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just really don't see how this negatively affects anyone's negotiation style. Under the assumption that every available option for an NPC is potentially the right one, minus the ones you've already excluded on previous turns, how is it possible to make a mistake when offering?
The "mistake" occurs when an available resource is excluded from a turn because the initial slot didn't need that resource - and therefore that resource was displayed as grey. This isn't a problem for some people because they solve the problem slot by slot. It is a problem for other people because they solve the problem in its entirety given the pattern of slots needing resources and the resources that are available.