• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation in to English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.

Do Not Suggest Alternative Eras at Research Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason
To add variety and more choices to the player. To be able to explore other society developments not covered at the current eras released. To provide option to introduce Eras that would not look right if placed after the current "Space Age" eras.

See link for Historical Eras that FOE skipped (or just reflected too briefly at one quest or two) at the current timeline, these could be used for Eras at the alternatile branch Im proposing: https://examples.yourdictionary.com/historical-eras-list-of-major-time-periods-in-history.html
Details
See above.
Balance
Era's costs and difficulty should be similar to the era that is parallel to it at the other Research line/branch.
All players would have the same choice of next eras to continue after reaching the end of an era and facing two branches for selection. All players could return to a previous branch not researched after completing a future one.
Abuse Prevention
No abuse issues detected. Open to discuss if any exploits are discovered to suggest options to control/eliminate those possibilities.
Summary
Redesign the Research Tree by adding a second alternative era line that will be linked at a point of current normal Research Tree line. Players ending an Era and facing this branching point would select which era to follow next. Player will have each time an Era is finished the option to return to the next era available at any of the two branches.
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested?
DNSL reviewed. No issues detected.
Develop new Eras for Research Tree that are tied not necessarily after the last Era released (or announced) but as an alternative new Era tied to a past Era already released. I mean:
  • Current: Research Tree runs like a straight line, each new era starts right after the previous one, currently reaching Space Ages, and exploring planets / moons in our Solar System. What next, exploring other star systems, other galaxies?
  • Proposed: Introduce new Eras running in a second parallel line, not after the last announced Space Age Era at the current normal Research Tree line. Like have the Research Tree open a new branch at some point. The first Era in this parallel line/branch could be available, for example after Modern Era (ME) or Post Modern Era (PME) (or whatever other era selected by the developers).
  • If the new alternative Research Line/Branch is implemented (for example) after Modern Era, then Players reaching the end of ME would have two (2) choices:
    • First Option: Unlock the first technology at PME and continue the game as we already know.
      • If the option 1 (PME) was selected, then after the end of PME the player will have again the choice to continue the game as we know it or select the Second Option.
    • Second Option: Unlock the first technology at the new alternative Research line/branch and experience this new Era instead of PME (or the next eras at the normal Research Tree Branch).
  • After unlocking the era from the selected option the player must continue and eventually finish that selected era before to work on the other one. The player can not do research at the normal Research Tree branch (PME) and at the alternative line/branch at the same time. The city can not be at PME and at New Era at the same time.
  • Eras at the new alternative Research line/branch must have all the things we expect from any era:
    • New Town Hall.
    • New Buildings of all types: Residential, Goods, Supply, Military, Cultural Buildings, Decorations, Roads
    • New Buildings of all categories: Regular & Special Buildings
    • New five (5) Goods
    • Continent Map with provinces, giving Resources, Good Boosts, Expansions, Tournament Tower, Diamonds
    • New Great Building(s)
    • New Expansions of all types
    • Research Tree with Technologies to unlock and rewards to obtain: Buildings, Avatars, Expansions.
    • Quests of all types: Main Story line, Side, Recurring
  • If by the example the new Era is set after ME, and therefore parallel to PME, then:
    • statistics of the new military units should be better than ME and similar to PME units
    • costs to unlock technologies in terms of number of coins, supplies, goods, and FPs should be equivalent to unlocking PME technologies
    • goods costs to construct new era GBs, and FPS required by level shall be equivalent to the PME GBs structure
  • Future Special Game Features to be unlocked at Research Tree (like current Tavern, Auctions Dealer, Ability to Invest at GBs, Access to certain Cultural Settlements) to remain at the normal Research Tree branch, not at the alternative Line/branch).

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
EDIT:
Have you looked to see if this has already been suggested? Yes, many ideas about new Eras design, none related to create an alternative Research Tree line to accommodate new Eras. Also, DNSL reviewed. No issues detected.

Sorry, forgot to add the Poll. Will Try to add it now, or if some Forum Administrator can add it.
Poll should be simple: Agree with having Alternative Research Tree Line/Branches?
  • Yes, allow new Eras to be placed at Alternative Research Tree Line/Branches
  • No, keep Research Tree as it is, a straight line, new Eras to appear only right after the last era released.
Open to see your views either in favor or against the ideas, all welcome.

Last edited:
Yes, if the proposed idea be implemented, and the branch point is at the end of ME the plater will select which era to do next, PME or the first era at the new branch. After finished that and reach again the end of the era the Player will select what he/she desire to research next, either next available at the Alternative Branch, or next available era at the normal Research Tree branch that we have now. Changes from a branch to the other to be done after finishing an era.

This will depend, of course, if the alternative branch as a new era released, if not the Player will continue at the normal branch until he/she reach a end of an era and the game gives again the choice of start an era at the alternative branch.

Last edited:

Tanmay11

Regent
I've always thought that any new eras should branch out from FE...allowing people to choose the type of future for their cities, and players can switch between these if they have researched it, unlike now where you have to research all the way to SAV.
not sure how balanced it might be because of all the powercreep with fps and attack tho. much easier to generate fps and attack than back in the day.

anyway +1 from me.
can you add a poll so we can vote?

Emberguard

Emperor
I've always thought that any new eras should branch out from FE...allowing people to choose the type of future for their cities, and players can switch between these if they have researched it, unlike now where you have to research all the way to SAV.
not sure how balanced it might be because of all the powercreep with fps and attack tho. much easier to generate fps and attack than back in the day.

anyway +1 from me.
can you add a poll so we can vote?
Yeah and if you did branch out like that you could shake it up for each age, make it carry over in a unique way or have a unique bonus for that ages stuff

I've always thought that any new eras should branch out from FE...
I totally agree, science can work in parallel develop technology for Artic Zone and Oceanic underwater exploring/construction. Both AF and OF and even VF could have been branches in parallel to each other, but then the military progression and of costs of technology unlocking, and relative value of goods, and GBs costs and levels structure would have to be taken in consideration.

In a straight line progression the each next era costs, military stats, etc are higher than the previous era, in a parallel branch structure eras in parallel to each other should be somewhat equivalent in these areas.

drakenridder

Emperor
Perk Creator
n a straight line progression the each next era costs, military stats, etc are higher than the previous era, in a parallel branch structure eras in parallel to each other should be somewhat equivalent in these areas.
Biggest differences in the military developments where the new skills mostly and
only from VF to space ages the raw base values. While from the beginning of the game
until colonial era also base values where the biggest drive to updating the military.

Umbrathor

Baronet
Points for creativity. It's a nice idea. It does pose a huge drain on development though. Every era takes let's say half a year to a year to develop. Having alternate routes is fun, but it would trade sequential progression (at the end of the eras) for parallel routes. People who have already played PME and are currently waaay past that would have little to gain from unlocking and playing a previous era's alternative route.

If the alternate routes are implemented as you suggest, we'd have new types of goods. Would those goods be required for negotiations and for unlocking GBG buildings? That could pose problems.

The easiest way to implement this idea would be to make it possible to choose between different sectors of Space to explore next. There is no real reason why Jupiter should come after Venus - both offer extreme climates. Again, it would mean diversity rather than progression. I'm not sure which would be better.

For earlier time periods, Settlements offer a way to include different cultures.

A good idea, but I think the changes will be too great to be actually implemented.

Also, can't people just go straight to SAV and then go back to alt-PME and use SAV units to annihilate alt-PME units? I'd vote yes anyway if you could change it.

D-Best

Squire
What are Cultural Settlements?
One of the core ideas behind the Cultural Settlements is to explore new cultures of humanity’s past during the different ages of Forge of Empires. As the main game has already moved beyond those times, we came up with this new way to explore and experience those rich cultures of our history.

Hiep Lin

Viceroy
And we are going to explore these new ages with the means of the space ages?

In this case we attack in GB with which units?

Status
Not open for further replies.